Welcome To Animecrave Sign In or Create Free Account
SPONSORS

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Curious as to what Animes are being released soon? dubbed soon? or even about new Anime titles gaining popularity fast? Learn all the Anime News possible here as far as release dates and Animes currently being worked on and dubbed.

Moderator: Greg

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

Postby Curt » January 2nd, 2007, 9:15 pm

Synopsis :
The Higurashi (Cicada) are crying, and they cry an almost sombre sound at night...

Keiichi moves to a small town named Hinamizawa Village consisting of 2,000 people. His friend Rena is interested in the junk yard, and there, Keiichi finds out from a camera man that "something" happened there years ago.

"They didn't end up finding the missing arm, huh..."

Keiichi asks around about the Junk Yard and his friends tell him that it was an area for the construction of a dam, but it was unsuccessful. He then asked if anything disasterous, or weird happened then, his friends Rena and Mion immediately say nothing happened.

He's yet to find out that a chain of deaths have been occuring each year around June. The same time the big fight happened around the construction of the dam. One person will die, and one person will disappear.

Is this planned? a coincidence? ...or a curse?

Review:
This series will blow your mind, and leave you craving for more. Keiichi Maebara just moved to a new town out in the country. Why he moved varies on which "arc" you are watching, but the characters that appear are always the same. He makes friends with four girls, and the minor details about them change from arc to arc, so it is difficult to explain specific things. Let me just say that things rarely appear as they seem.

The art style is nice and bright during the humorous moments and quickly becomes dark and mysterious when things take their turn for the worse(Killer Loli's!), and this will happen several times. You will constantly see a ray of light in the darkness, but whether Keiichi will reach it is something that you will have to see for yourself. These transitions are done beautifully, and add a lot to the series.

The music sets the mood for both the bright humorous parts as well as adds pressure and suspense for the more terrifying moments. While the beginning song is in Japanese, the ending is one of the songs emerging now where a Japanese singer attempts to sing in English(Engrish). Both songs are very good, and the beginning one tells you what exactly you are getting involved in once you start watching.

The characters are very distinct, you can even tell the identical twins apart once you've seen them enough. All of the arcs have the same characters returning, in different roles, but not all of the arcs contain all the characters, such as the first arc containing both of the twins.

There appears to be slow moments at times, but things tend to take a quick bloody turn in this great horror, suspense, mystery anime. At times, you can't always trust what you are seeing. You most likely will get confused as things progress, but if you stick it out to the end and pay attention to details, everything will click together for one explosive finish(almost literally). If horror, suspense, and mystery are your things, check this anime out and see if Keiichi and crew can escape from the twisted scenarios they are constantly put into.

Verdict: 8.5/10(If you can handle it, I would HIGHLY recommend this to you. Don't let the cutsey presentation and the first episode fool you. Higurashi has its share of blood and gore that can be surpass that of even Elfen Lied or Hellsing. By the end of the second episode, this series will truly have you hooked.

Final Thoughts:
This is defientely one of the better horror, mystery series and would have been a masterpiece if the art and animation from Studio DEEN didn't suck !$! at certain critical moments. Of course this isn't a very easy series to get into due to its complexity; Overall, however, damn good series.

If nothing else; just watch the OP!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsXpcIs-6OA
Curt
Knight

Postby Meurtre » July 2nd, 2010, 12:50 pm

i haven't seen this show, but i heard a lot of about it. it's very...strange, but i'll watch it
Meurtre

higurashi

Postby srgtfrog » July 2nd, 2010, 9:42 pm

That was scary! I stopped in the middle of it! :shock: :cry:
srgtfrog
Forums Initiate

Return to Anime News