Welcome To Animecrave Sign In or Create Free Account
SPONSORS

Chromecast please!

Have ideas on how to support AC? Or want to learn how you can help AC?

Moderator: Greg

Chromecast please!

Postby Necromuffin » March 13th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Hi,

Chromecast support please! How can you have an Android app without it?

I watch 2/3rds on a real TV with nice speakers and stuff. Via Chromecast I can get Crunchyroll, Netflix and Hulu, but not Amazon (for stupid competitive reasons, meaning I hardly watch Amazon prime anymore). For that I have to switch to the crappy Samsung Dumb TV apps.

Anyway, please support Chromecast! What's the problem with video converting anyway? I saw in an old post that is a reason you can't support CC, but that's silly. Any number of programs would convert your streams. We could even do it on demand. That is, convert only after some one asks, and put it in a queue, so we could have 1 server just doing conversions, and in order, then we cache the results. Is there something I'm not getting about your infrastructure? We should have everything in HTML 5 already. :)

BTW, I've been a paying sponsor for years, and have a background in IT and capacity and performance in particular. If that's an issue, let's chat.

Best,

Erik
Necromuffin

Re: Chromecast please!

Postby Bassam » March 15th, 2016, 11:37 am

Honestly it all comes down to funding, members on live has declined over the years. Donations are non existent, and with this said sometimes it makes goals hard to reach. Despite that we are still doing things and releasing things, just not at the pace that we wish we could do.

Converting videos isn't as simple as it sounds, a lot of factors get put in place with just simple converting. But also video pages need to be re-made, database entries modified, and so on have to be done to make something html-5. If we had a full day to work on it we could get 15-20 done a day, but we can't dedicated that 7 days a week.

My understanding on the chromecast is it should be able to cast whatever you see on your phone/tablet. So you should still be able to watch on your TV, the only downside is the battery drain. Is this no longer the case?
Bassam
King

Postby Necromuffin » March 15th, 2016, 12:37 pm

Sorry about the declining membership! :( That sucks, this is my favorite anime site.

But as for the technology, we're just talking automation. One thing I noticed is that your pages are hand-crafted. They should be generated by entries in a DB. Let's talk page automation. :)

The entire process, from converting, to updating the db entries to re-working the web pages should be an automated procedure. Press button. Go home. Wake up, 1,500 new videos converted. Piece of cake. :)

Best,

Erik
Necromuffin

Postby Bassam » March 15th, 2016, 12:44 pm

All new content is mostly automated, we just have to fill in data and submit. However old stuff because of the many difference in file/folder names, automation is a bit hard to do. Also this requires a programmer with a different skill set which has costs of their own. So due to lack in funds, we just end up doing it manually our selves at a slower pace.
Bassam
King

Postby Necromuffin » March 16th, 2016, 12:29 pm

Bassam wrote:All new content is mostly automated, we just have to fill in data and submit. However old stuff because of the many difference in file/folder names, automation is a bit hard to do. Also this requires a programmer with a different skill set which has costs of their own. So due to lack in funds, we just end up doing it manually our selves at a slower pace.

Sounds like a job for Perl. Send me a couple of samples of these and I would be happy to make some sample scripts to identify and normalize them. :)

Best,

Erik
Necromuffin

Postby Miyumi320 » March 23rd, 2016, 6:57 pm

I don't see the point in Chrome cast and I never even heard of it before now.

What is it really? I have to know what it is before I decide anything more. :?
Is this all a dream or somethiing more?

Will I ever find my place?
Miyumi320

Postby Necromuffin » March 24th, 2016, 6:55 pm

Miyumi320 wrote:I don't see the point in Chrome cast and I never even heard of it before now.

It's the Google made version of Roku or Amazon Fire Stick. Basically it lets you cast video to your TV from an Android application. Well supported by most streaming services EXCEPT Amazon and Anime Crave. :(

And get out from under a rock!! There's like a million other gadgets you need to not buy. :)

Erik
Necromuffin

Postby Miyumi320 » March 25th, 2016, 9:22 pm

Necromuffin wrote:
Miyumi320 wrote:I don't see the point in Chrome cast and I never even heard of it before now.

It's the Google made version of Roku or Amazon Fire Stick. Basically it lets you cast video to your TV from an Android application. Well supported by most streaming services EXCEPT Amazon and Anime Crave. :(

And get out from under a rock!! There's like a million other gadgets you need to not buy. :)

Erik

I don't live under a rock, I just don't like the idea of things I can't have cause I'm too poor to have them at all.
Is this all a dream or somethiing more?

Will I ever find my place?
Miyumi320

Postby Bassam » March 28th, 2016, 7:08 pm

Chromcast is actually pretty cheap! But personally I have a computer connected to my TV with a Air Remote so I don't need any of that.

Also Necromuffin I sent you a PM.
Bassam
King

Postby tonystuffs » May 30th, 2016, 2:19 pm

what is an air remote.
tonystuffs

Postby Bassam » June 6th, 2016, 2:48 pm

Bassam
King

Return to Help Improve AC!